Insomnia and Fatigue Treatment Questions and Answers
Koala® Centers For Sleep & TMJ Disorders can help you get a good night’s rest. Our medical professionals are experienced in treating insomnia and fatigue and can help you determine what is causing these problems. We serve patients from all over the USA. Locations in Bloomington IL, Peoria – Dunlap IL, Lafayette IN, Mishawaka IN, Columbia MO, Kansas City MO, El Paso TX, and Wausau WI. For more information call us at one of our clinics today or request an appointment online.
Sleep is one of the body’s most important functions, allowing us to recuperate, recover, relax our minds, and heal our bodies. Lack of sleep is a huge contributor to a wide range of health problems, both physical and mental. Sleep disorders, such as insomnia, can be caused by a number of complications, and in most cases, it leads to daytime fatigue. This, in turn, can lead to problems focusing, slow mental processing, and can also hinder reaction time.
What are the symptoms of insomnia?
Insomnia is the most common sleep disorder in the world and is characterized by difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep. It is a complex condition with myriad causes, and can quickly take a toll on someone’s health and wellness. Symptoms may include:
Difficulty falling asleep at night
- Waking up during the night
- Waking up too early
- Not feeling well-rested after a night’s sleep
- Daytime tiredness or sleepiness
- Irritability, depression, or anxiety
- Difficulty paying attention/focusing on tasks/remembering
- Increased errors or accidents
- Ongoing worries about sleep
How can insomnia and fatigue affect my life?
Sleep deprivation can have countless negative effects on the body and mind, limiting strength, concentration, and alertness. The consequences of chronic sleep deprivation extend beyond physical issues and can often affect psychological health as well. Chronic sleep deprivation can adversely affect mood, emotional disposition, and cognition, as well as compromise one’s physiological wellbeing. Some of the most common symptoms of sleep deprivation include, but are not limited to:
- Fatigue — Daytime sleepiness, exhaustion, and fatigue are some of the most common symptoms of sleep deprivation. When experiencing fatigue, individuals might have a constant sense of drowsiness and tiredness, affecting their ability to be completely present at the moment. This might affect an individual’s productivity and the quality of any work that they do while in this state.
- Mood Swings — Insomnia and fatigue can have a profoundly negative effect on mood, causing excessive irritability and being short-tempered. According to sleep experts, irritability is often associated with a lack of sufficient sleep. On the other hand, getting solid and restful sleep at night will allow people to wake up feeling restored, happy, and wide awake.
- Lack of Concentration — A well-rested mind is required to focus and concentrate on a particular topic or task. Therefore, when a person is sleep-deprived, their ability to concentrate is severely impaired. This decrease in focus and alertness may lead to uncharacteristic errors and mistakes in work and lower productivity, and the lack of concentration may also lead to accidents and mishaps.
Can a sleep doctor help me with insomnia and fatigue?
Yes, a sleep doctor can help with insomnia and fatigue in a number of different ways. First, they will diagnose the underlying cause of insomnia, which may require a few diagnostic tests. Then they will find the most appropriate treatment option based on their findings.
What do you do for fatigue and insomnia?
The treatments for fatigue and insomnia vary from one patient to the next and also depends on the underlying cause of these symptoms. Although fatigue and insomnia are inherently linked, there are multiple causes for these ailments, from sleep apnea to TMD. Koala® Center for Sleep & TMJ Disorders offers several therapies for fatigue and insomnia. Visit one of our clinics today to find out how we can help you improve your quality of sleep.