4 Questions to Ask Your Pediatric Sleep Doctor in Peoria – Dunlap IL
Either your littles are not getting enough sleep or they are having sleep disorders such as difficulties getting asleep, frequent wake-ups, snoring or gasping for air, daytime sleepiness, or bedwetting, it is time you should consult an specialist. Contact our team of professionals at Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders or visit us online to book an appointment. We serve patients from Peoria/Dunlap IL, and surrounding areas.
Table of Contents:
A child’s health and development depend heavily on sleep. Inadequate sleep can cause irritability, lack of concentration, and learning and behavioral problems. Snoring, sleep apnea, bedwetting, insomnia, nightmares, restless legs syndrome, sleep talking and walking, and night terrors are among the most common sleep disorders observed in children.
Long-term sleep problems may be a sign of an underlying health or emotional condition that needs to be examined by a physician. Some of the signals you should look out for to determine if your child should see a sleep specialist include:
– Persistent snoring, which could be a sign of a blockage
– Breathing pauses, heavy breathing, or gasping for air as the child sleeps
– Inability to concentrate or pay attention during the daytime
– Regular tiredness, even after sufficient sleep
– Recurring night terrors
– Persistent bedwetting
– Persistent sleepwalking
If you note one or more of the above symptoms in your child, it is recommended to see a pediatric sleep specialist. Pediatric sleep specialists will be able to accurately diagnose the condition and provide a comprehensive treatment plan to alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life.
If your child exhibits symptoms of sleep issues, it is wise to consult a sleep specialist to receive a diagnosis and treatment plan. Here are the typical warning signs:
– Difficulties getting asleep – If your child struggles to fall asleep, this may indicate a sleep issue.
– Frequent wake-ups – If your child struggles to stay asleep or gets up multiple times during the night, this can be an indication of a sleep disorder.
– Snoring or gasping for air – A sleep disorder like sleep apnea may be present in your child if they snore excessively, gasp for air while sleeping, or appear to have difficulty breathing.
– Daytime sleepiness – When a child is perpetually sleepy during the day, struggles to stay awake in class or nods off in the middle of activities, this can signify a sleep issue.
– Bedwetting – A sleep disorder may be why your child is wetting the bed at a stage when they should be able to sleep through the night.
It’s important to consult a pediatric sleep specialist if you are worried that your child might have a sleep condition. The physician will assist you with the diagnosis and suggest suitable treatment options.
During a pediatric sleep study, the sleep specialist will:
– apply sensors to your child’s body in various places, including the head, chin, legs, and the area around the eyes.
– apply an elastic belt around your child’s chest and stomach to gauge respiration.
– connect sensors to a computer through a wire to transmit data as your child sleeps.
Throughout the sleep study, medical specialists will observe your child’s:
– eye movements
– brain activity
– carbon dioxide levels
– breathing patterns
– blood oxygen levels
– stages of sleep
– noises, including snoring and gasping for air
– sleeping positions
A camera and microphone will be used to record your child’s sleep. The sleep specialist will stay all night to monitor your child’s sleep from a different room. If your child needs to use the restroom, the technician can remove sensors and other equipment.
If you’re a parent of a child who experiences sleep difficulties, you are aware of how difficult it is to assist them in getting the rest they require. Fortunately, there are effective treatments available that can help your child get the sleep they need to thrive.
At Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders, we provide specialist treatment for kids with sleep difficulties through our KoalaKIDZzz program. This program is specifically designed to assist kids as young as 2 years old in getting the rest they require for healthy growth and development.
The KoalaKIDZzz® program is led by board-certified sleep specialists who have extensive experience working with children. We understand the unique challenges that children with sleep disorders face, and we’re committed to providing compassionate and effective care.
Call us today to book an appointment at our TMJ joint pain treatment clinic, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 11825 N. State Route 40, Suite 100, Dunlap, IL 61525. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Dunlap IL, Bellevue IL, Pottstown IL, West Peoria IL, East Peoria IL and surrounding areas.