What Causes Sleep Disorders?
Are you suffering from a sleep disorder that is affecting your life? Don’t worry, treatments are available! Call our sleep team today at Koala Center for Sleep & TMJ Disorders or visit us online to book an appointment. We have convenient locations across the U.S. in Bloomington IL, Peoria – Dunlap IL, Mishawaka IN, Kansas City MO, El Paso TX, and Wausau WI.
Table of Content:
What are the types of sleep disorders?
What causes sleep disorders?
How can you help with my sleep disorder?
Sleep disorders are common. They can happen to anyone, at any age, even if they feel like they are getting enough sleep. Sleep disorders can range from minor issues, like restless leg syndrome, to major conditions, like sleep apnea. In some cases, these disorders are caused by physical or mental conditions, like being sick or stressed, but they can also be caused by medications or poor sleep environments. Many people with sleep disorders seek treatment to improve their quality of life, such as improving their ability to function during the day or to better perform daily activities.
There are dozens of distinct sleep disorders, each with its own symptoms, etiology, and sequelae. Common sleep disorders include:
– Advanced sleep-wake phase disorder
– Bruxism (Teeth Grinding)
– Catathrenia (groaning)
– Central Sleep Apnea (CSA)
– Chronic Insomnia Disorder
– Circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorder
– Confusional arousals
– Congenital central alveolar hypoventilation syndrome
– Delayed sleep-wake phase disorder
– Exploding head syndrome
– Irregular sleep-wake rhythm
– Jet lag disorder
– Kleine-Levin syndrome
– Late-onset central hypoventilation
– Night Terrors
– Nightmare disorder
– Non-24-hour sleep-wake rhythm disorder
– Obesity hypoventilation syndrome
– Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
– Periodic limb movement disorder
– REM sleep behavior disorder
– Restless Leg Syndrome
– Shift work disorder
– Short-term Insomnia Disorder
– Sleep Apnea
– Sleep Paralysis
– Sleep Talking (somniloquy)
– Sleep Enuresis (bed-wetting)
– Sleepwalking (somnambulism)
Sleep problems can be caused by various factors; each person experiences a unique set of factors that contributes to their sleep disorder. Although causes may differ, the end result of all sleep disorders is that the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle is disrupted, exaggerated or altered, affecting the individual’s quality of sleep. Factors that can cause sleep problems include:
– Physical disturbances (chronic pain, headaches, fibromyalgia)
– Medical issues (sleep apnea)
– Psychiatric disorders (depression and anxiety disorders)
– Environmental issues (light, noise, extreme temperatures)
– Life stresses (change of job, loss of a loved one, or moving)
Other factors that can interfere with sleep include:
– Genetics — Researchers have found a genetic basis for certain sleep disorders such as insomnia (inability to fall asleep or stay asleep) and narcolepsy (a neurological disorder of sleep regulation affecting the control of sleep and wakefulness)
– Night Shift Work — People who work at night often experience sleep disorders, because when they naturally start to feel drowsy as the sun sets, they have to go to work; their schedule runs contrary to their biological clock.
– Medications — Many drugs can interfere with sleep, such as certain antidepressants, blood pressure medication, medications for ADD/ADHD (methylphenidate, amphetamine, dextroamphetamine), and over-the-counter cold medicine (dextromethorphan).
– Aging — Although roughly half of the adults over the age of 65 have some sort of sleep disorder, it is not clear if it is a normal part of aging or a result of medications that are common in the older population.
The kind and caring professionals at Koala® Centers For Sleep & TMJ Disorders can help you find relief from your sleep disorder, so you can get a better night’s rest. Our team of sleep specialists utilize a number of treatments, therapies, and diagnostic tools to determine the cause of the sleep disorder; after we diagnose the cause, we can recommend a wide number of effective treatment options. If you are struggling to get quality sleep due to a sleep disorder, come to Koala® Centers For Sleep & TMJ Disorders for care today. We serve patients from all across the United States.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Sleep Apnea
▸ TMJ Disorder
▸ Sleep Disorders
▸ Weight Loss
▸ CPAP Alternative
▸ Oral Appliances