TMJ Clinic in Bloomington, IL
Sleep clinics are specifically dedicated to treating TMJ disorders, such as Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders. These specialized facilities are the most qualified of medical centers to treat problems with the temporomandibular joint. Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders provides top-rated TMJ services. Book an appointment at our sleep clinic today or call us to speak to a professional.
Table of Contents:
What is the temporomandibular joint (TMJ)?
What is the best doctor to see for TMJ?
How do doctors check for TMJ?
TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, is a very active joint that connects the jaw to the skull. Problems with the temporomandibular joint can negatively impact quality of sleep, cause headaches and jaw soreness. Temporomandibular joint disorders, or TMD, affect the lives of millions of people, and thankfully, there is a solution.
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is an important joint that connects the mandible (jawbone) to the cranium (skull). It is located in front of the ear, on the side of the face. This joint is unique as the surfaces of the bones never come into contact with each other because they are separated by a disc. There are three ligaments that act to stabilize the temporomandibular joint.
Lateral Ligament — This ligament runs from the beginning of the articular tubule to the jaw. It acts to prevent posterior dislocation of the temporomandibular joint.
Sphenomandibular Ligament — The sphenomandibular ligament starts at the sphenoid spine, and attaches to the jawbone.
Stylomandibular Ligament — This ligament is a thickening of the fascia of the parotid gland and supports the weight of the jaw.
The best doctor to see for TMJ is a dentist who specializes in treating TMJ disorders. These professionals are the most qualified of any doctor to diagnose and treat TMD. Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders is staffed with medical professionals who strictly specialize in treating TMJ disorders.
In order to properly diagnose TMJ, doctors perform a thorough medical evaluation. This will go over medical history and will investigate the following areas:
– What kind of pain is present
– If the pain is an ache, a throbbing, sharp or stabbing pain
– If the pain is continuous or intermittent
– Where the pain is present
– What helps alleviate pain
– What aggravates pain
– If you clench or grind your teeth
– If you compulsively bite your nails or chew on pens, pencils, etc.
– If you talk on the phone while holding it between your shoulder and ear
– If you chew gum, and how often or how long you do
– If you have any unmentioned oral habits
After the review of medical history, they will then perform a physical examination. During the physical assessment, the examining doctor will evaluate the head, neck, face, and temporomandibular joints, looking for any of the following:
– Tenderness/pain and its location;
– Sounds, such as clicking, popping, grating
– Jaw’s range of motion, whether it can be easily opened, closed and moved side to side without any pain
– Wear and tear on the teeth
– Rigidity and/or tenderness of the chewing muscles
– Alignment of teeth, checking to see if they appear normal, if there is an overbite, underbite, open bite or crossbite, if there is a facial bone deformity, or if there have been dental restorations.
In order to perform a proper diagnosis, the examining physician may order an x-ray. This enables doctors to take a look at the internal structure of the jaw, allowing them to see abnormalities that do not show any external signs.
If you or someone you love is looking for a trusted TMJ clinic in Bloomington, IL, come to Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders today! Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating TMJ and can help you get to the root of the problem. Call us today to book an appointment. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Bloomington IL, Normal IL, Yuton IL, Barnes IL and Towanda IL.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Sleep Apnea
▸ TMJ Disorder
▸ Sleep Disorders
▸ Weight Loss
▸ CPAP Alternative
▸ Oral Appliances