Is TMJ a Dental Problem? – El Paso TX
At Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders, our professionals treat various problems, caused by TMJ. Visit our clinic and get proper treatment for TMJ disorder. For more information, call us or book an online appointment.
Table of Contents:
TMJ, which stands for temporomandibular joint, often refers to disorders affecting this joint. There are actually two TMJs that connect the lower jaw to the skull, just below the ears. Many dental problems can lead to dysfunction of these joints, including bruxism, misaligned teeth, and chipped or damaged teeth. Fortunately, TMJ disorders are highly treatable and can find relief from noninvasive treatments in most cases. The earlier a TMJ disorder is treated, the more promising the outcome will be.
Yes, TMJ disorders are considered dental issues. This is because the TMJ is part of the jaw’s anatomy and dentists are experts in the structure of the mouth, teeth, and jaw. In fact, some dentists solely focus on treating TMJ disorders making them the most trusted professionals for addressing problems with these joints.
Yes, dentists can provide many different treatment options for TMJ disorders, from noninvasive therapies to surgical procedures. If symptoms like tender jaw muscles; headaches and/or neck aches; popping noises when opening and closing the mouth; pain in or around the ear; or pain in the jaw when chewing or biting develop, it is a good idea to visit a dentist as soon as possible. As is the case with most conditions, leaving a TMJ disorder untreated will only make it harder to correct and may lead to further complications. By working with a TMJ dentist early on, they can develop a treatment plan that has a high success rate for relieving pain.
To diagnose a TMJ disorder most dentists will use a combination of factors. The dentist may take x-rays for a better understanding of how the jaw is functioning or they may simply diagnose a TMJ disorder with an examination of behavioral and physical factors. To receive the best treatment it is important for the patient to answer the dentist’s questions as openly and honestly as possible; the more details the dentist has, the better they will be able to create an effective treatment plan.
Dentists use a variety of different treatments to relieve TMJ problems, including:
– TENS — Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation is a therapeutic treatment that sends signals to the muscles in the jaw to help them find its natural resting position. This helps alleviate misaligned bites that could be contributing to a TMJ disorder, as well as allow unobstructed airflow.
– Orthodontic Treatment — Braces and other forms of orthodontic treatments are effective at resolving TMJ disorders by correcting crooked teeth and malocclusions (misaligned bites). These have been popular treatments for several decades and have helped countless people improve the structure of their teeth and jaw.
– Neuromuscular Dentures — While traditional dentures provide teeth for functional—and even aesthetic—purposes, neuromuscular dentures use a more comprehensive approach and take more factors into consideration, such as the structure of the jaw, and how the soft tissues work.
– Crowns or Veneers — Crowns and veneers are popular dental procedures that address cosmetic concerns, but they also work to treat TMJ dysfunction by correcting the structure of the teeth and jaw.
– Surgery — In severe cases, dental surgeons may need to use surgical procedures to correct a TMJ disorder. There are several different procedures they can use, and each one is safe and proven to be effective for resolving TMJ issues.
At Koala® Center For Sleep & TMJ Disorders, we are dedicated to providing you with all of your TMJ-related needs. Our kind and compassionate professionals specifically focus on treating TMJ disorders, which allows us to better address your concerns and provide a higher level of care. Call us today or book an appointment for TMJ treatment. We serve patients from Bloomington IL, Peoria/Dunlap IL, Mishawaka IN, Kansas City MO, El Paso TX and Wausau WI. We look forward to serving you!